Sunday, August 17, 2008

Optimist or Pessimist?

On Friday morning, the boys and I were eating breakfast in the kitchen and as always, we were singing silly songs. We happened to be singing the Bob the Builder theme song. For those of you who don't know it, the lyrics go something like "Bob the Builder, can we fix it? Bob the Builder, YES, WE CAN!".

So I would sing the first part and Ty would sing the "Yes, we can!" part. Josh thought it would be funny to interject a "No, we can't!" after Ty was done singing and without even thinking, I turned to him and jokingly said, "Pessimist!". Then, of course, I had to explain what a pessimist was and as we sang the song again and the boys sang their parts, I pointed to Ty and said "Optimist!", then pointed to Josh and said "Pessimist!".

Ty asked if we could sing it again, so I started off, the boys sang (giggled) their parts and Ty turned to Josh, pointed his little finger at him and with a completely straight face said, "Optimus Prime.". Josh and I both busted up laughing, which only encouraged Ty who continued calling Josh Optimus Prime and then proceeded in singing the Transformers theme song.

So from now on whenever anyone calls me an "Eternal Optimist" (you'd be surprised at how often I hear it at work), I won't be able to stop myself from bursting out into the Transformers theme song because after all, they must know that I'm really Optimus Prime!

5 comments:

Stacey said...

That's pretty funny. Now I'll probably start singing the Transformers song when I hear that phrase. Bryce says that just means there's more than meets the eye to optimists. :)

Jen said...

I am so glad you have a blog and I can keep up with you now. I love this story. I can totally see people calling you an optimist. What a nice thing to be.

Jake and Stephanie Perrin said...

Hey Jill! Remember me? i found you on Jarom and Katies blog. Its fun to see how much your boys have grown! Feel free to stop by our blog sometime.. theperrinexperience.blogspot.com.

Lizz said...

now I can't remember the real words to the song!

Heather said...

So CUTE! It is amazing how the simple start of a song brings on so many new words and experiences. I was thrilled to find your blog. It looks like all is well w/ your family. Check out mine @ phscottfamily.blogspot.com. Heather (Lewis) Scott